Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG Brightmail) SSL Import from Exchange
- Download your certificate from the SSL issuer (i.e. Godaddy)
- Use openssh on the brightmail
- set-support command after ssh to it with username and password of SMG web interface.
- Upload the certificate to the gateway using WinSCP or other file transfer program
- Run openssl command to export the RSA PRIVATE Key from the .pfx file exported from Exchange (Use the certificate snap-in)
- Copy and paste the exported RSA Private key (PEM format) to the end of the certificate file from the SSL issuer.
- In my case, during a migration from Exchange 2010 to 2016 I exported the certificate from the Exchange 2010, imported into the new Exchange 2016 server, and then exported the .pfx file from there. No CSR request needed.
- Symantec Messaging Gateway will keep giving you errors if you don’t import the certificate in the correct format.